Friday, March 25, 2005

Dr? or Engineer ?

It always occurs to be why should one be a Dr ? I never thought of getting such a high post nor being called that. But on the other hand, with a chance of being a Dr, why become a worker ? Isn't it confusing ? Why be a Dr ? Why not "be" a Dr, rather than a worker. Ok, stop with the mind twisting. I guess decisions are hard to make sometimes. I'm really in a dilemma. I really can't choose between them. I can't imagine myself to be called Dr.Heng, yet I cannot visualize myself to be working forever under an engineering position for the rest of my life. Where is it going wrong ? Choices are there, but I cannot make the decisions. Why why why ? This is what my supervisor told me in choice and regards to become a doctorate:

Supervisor: Oh, come in Benson. Sorry, I've been busy these few weeks recently, please come in
Me : Hi sir, am I bothering you ?

Supervisor: Oh not at all, please please do come in, have a seat and lets talk.

Me : Sir we need to talk about the offer u are giving to me. Tell me what is the prospects of obtaining a doctorate degree in engineering. ? How long is the project duration ? And what is the project all about ?

Supervisor: Well Benson, first things first. I choose you not because of your results but more to I my confidence and believe that you can. Your 3 months performance in the Uni as a Research Assistant has shown tremendous results, and I believe with your abilities you can complete this project with success. I cannot guarantee you a completion of the Phd project in two years, but I can assure you, you are capable of it. The project is practically a power control system based on non-linearities which you can know more on your research. It may seem very complex at first, but it is very simple actually. With your analytical skills, you are just right for the job.

Me : Seriously, sir. You really think I can do it?

Supervisor: Don't worry Benson. Take the offer. It is one of the largest schoalrship that the Uni can ever offer to someone. I'm sure you'll do fine. The project is incooperated with another 2 more Phd students based in NTU, Singapore. Who knows, you might be able to fly to Singapore and also have a vacation back to Malaysia, all under the expenses of the University. Your a brilliant guy Benson, and if you can complete in 2 years, I'm pretty sure, you are able to go to MIT in the USA. Its a good opportunity since you are paid highly to study it.

Me : Well, sir. You are right, but still is it possible to extend the due date to April, I need some time to think about it carefully. I know it is a bit much to ask, but I really hope you can give me that time.

Supervisor: Not a problem Benson ! I already extended it myself. I know your difficulties, but I hope to hear from you the good news !

Me : Thanks sir for your support, I will get back to you ASAP. See you around !

Supervisor: Cheers mate !

Decisions decisions decisions. Should I take the offer ? Or should I shun it and obtain working experience ? What do you think ? Stupid question for all of you brilliant ppl out there. Voice out your opinions. Tell me !!! I'm already lost.


------------------------------------------------------------
A single message from the Life of a Normal Guy to all the angels and saviours out there.
------------------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home